Our sense of smell has an immediate and profound effect on the way we feel, due to the fact that our olfactory system is directly linked to our limbic system – the part of the brain that controls our moods and emotions.
1. Lemon – promotes concentration and has calming, clarifying properties that are helpful when you’re feeling angry, anxious or run down. Lemon also has antiviral and antibacterial properties and can help fight sore throats and colds by boosting the body’s immune system and improving circulation.
2. Lavender – This essential oil has calming properties that help control emotional stress. Lavender has a soothing effect on nerves and can relieve nervous tension and depression as well as treat headaches and migraines.
3. Jasmine – It’s is also used to calm nerves, but is also commonly used as an anti-depressant because of its uplifting capabilities that produce a feeling of confidence, optimism and revitalized energy.
4. Mandarin – to help with stress and tension & to help boost circulation and reduce water retention.
5. Ylang ylang – is reputed to help calm the nervous system during times of depression, stress and overwork.
6. Rosemary – Is good for improving memory retention, has stimulating properties that fight physical exhaustion, headaches and mental fatigue and is used to relieve muscular aches and pains.
7. Cinnamon – The stimulating properties in cinnamon can help fight mental fatigue and improve concentration and focus.
8. Peppermint – An energy booster and invigorates the mind, promotes concentration and stimulates clear thinking.